Wednesday, April 25, 2012

3KCBWDAY3 - My knitspiration

I have  no recollection of when and how I learnt to knit. It must have been in school. My mother and/or my older sister surely helped me as well. They keep telling me that I hold my yarn on my index finger the way my grandma used to hold it. So that must have been passed on to me via my family.

Before I rediscovered knitting in 2007-2008, I knit a lot my own improvised designs. Funny that I rarely do that anymore now that I'm a much better knitter than I used to be.

My husband and I were visiting my family in Lithuania for winter vacation 2007. Our car broke down and as I still had some time off from university, I stayed on to wait for our car to get fixed whereas my husband flew back to Germany. That was a very cold winter with loads of snow. With no car, I was stuck at my parents' house. There was little to do besides reading, watching tv (and that is never an option for me in Lithuania, really) or knit. That is when I rediscovered knitting big time and came across knitting blogs.

I had a big crush with Vogue Capecho at the time. Knitlit's Kate wrote an open letter to the designer, Norah Gaughan. Then I found anothershopgirl's blog. One thing led to another and I had a long list of blogs that I was reading. After a short while, I decided to join into the blogging. Soon afterwards I became a Ravelry member.

Nowadays it is really Ravelry where I find most of my knitting inspirations. When it comes to colourwork, I'm in awe with jettshin's skills (Flickr link here). It also helps seeing knits in action, so whatever shawl Christine is next wearing, I will probably end up wanting one myself. Sabrina knit a lace cardi and I just had to add it to my queue.


And finally, heirlooms like this knitted skirt give me inspiration to knit. Currently I am working on one for my daughter. The above was knit by my husband's grandma. I love how well preserved it is, love the colour combo. And I never tire going through the many many knitted items that she has made through the years for her family. She is my knitting hero. Too bad she's not around anymore. Whenever I wear this skirt or anything else knit by her, it brings sweet memories of her and in the way she's back with us.

Thank you for stopping by. If you want to read more participating blogs on the topic, put 3KCBWDAY3 into your search engine.

11 comments:

  1. After looking at jettshin's projects I may have to have another look at doing some colour work. Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these links !
    I can totally relate to memories flowing in when wearing an item knitted by someone else, it makes it very special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for visiting! Great post with loads of fab links!! lol x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love jettshin's projects too! She's amazing! Thank you for all the amazing links :D The skirt looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The skirt is gorgeous! I too love the colors and the stripes.
    I really enjoyed reading your post and plan to visit the links.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The skirt is fantastic. I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful post and thank you for sharing the links! I don't know what I would do if Ravelry wasn't in existence lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a beautiful skirt! I love the fact that you have so many lovely memories attached to it. Sounds like the perfect way to remember your husband's grandma.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's almost where it started for me, too. I discovered knitting on the Internet by googling Norah's Knitting Nature and found the blog for that. The capecho was in my first issue of VK and I adored it, too. Anothershopgirl's blog led me to Wenlan Chia, and so on...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a BEAUTIFUL skirt! Ravelry inspires me immensely too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, knitted skirt? That's fab! (I also loved shopgirl's blog back in the day).

    ReplyDelete