Monday, January 2, 2012

knitting goals for 2012



I am no good when it comes to setting myself any knitting goals. 2010 I wanted to knit 12 pairs of socks. Fail. 2011 I wanted to make 12 pairs of mittens. Fail. I got only 1,5 done, so that's not even close. Looking back it seems as if that was a ridiculous goal in the first place.

Moreover, whenever I think of setting myself any goals, I feel reminded of my former boss and her constant wish "to take it higher" and questions of how we are going "to take it to the next level". Knitting is my hobby and I do not want to force anything. But, as I look back, I try to see what I learned and think what patterns should come next. I won't go that much into details as this blogger. But the idea of tracking the progress is not bad.

2011 was good knitting-wise. It was mainly a baby-knits year. I tried many different patterns and enjoyed knitting for my little one.

So what should I knit in 2012?
I want to knit for my little one so that she has a sweater, a hat and some socks for each season. Now that shouldn't be hard, right?

Then, I want to get back to knitting some more socks, though no number shall be set. If my sisters visit me, they shall never be cold at my place. I need some socks not only for my feet. Also, I've noticed myself wishing I had some beaded Lithuanian wristwarmers "stocked". Those make great presents, so I'd like to knit some of those. A pair for me as well. I could use up Drops Alpaca that I got left from this.

I really enjoy colourwork, so I should knit an item beyond mittens. Maybe that Selbu Modern for which I got yarn over a year ago?

Finally, I'd like to knit myself one garment that I'd wear beyond the FO shots. That's a harder one, but I've been thinking a lot, going through this. I got an idea now of what might work.  This I want to start in the second half of 2012.

As to stash, enhancement from indie dyers is allowed, so is sock yarn. I'd love to get some Opal Hundertwasser. Otherwise, knit all the above from stash. And should I end up travelling to either Faroe or to Shetland islands, real splurges are ok.

4 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Siga! I like your approach to New Year's resolutions. I also don't want to ruin my hobby by setting strict limits and the like. Also thanks for teh link to Amy Herzog's blog, I'll dig my way through those lessons.
    May the New year be exciting and filled with wonderful surprises.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your resolutions: positive and enjoyable, without making knitting feel like work. Happy 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound eminently reasonable! I haven't really gotten around to new year's resolutions - maybe one of mine should be to focus more! happy new year! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Year! I really like your resolutions. I don't think I'm going to make any, but this morning I spent a few hours making a match-stash-yarn-and-top-of-the-queue-projects spreadsheet so I think I'm ready to step into a new year anyway :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.