Friday, December 9, 2011

FO: Boy's cabled sweater


Pattern: Arctic Cables from Pure Knits
Yarn: Cascade 220 superwash (2 skeins dark blue and 1 skein light blue)


This week I discovered this blog post on constructive criticism of knitting patterns via this (talk about one thing lead to another, right?; but I do think it's important to note down how I found it). I thought a lot about it. And it is true, I rarely dare to critique a knitting pattern on my blog. Knitting community is a very friendly one, but friendships should be able to stand some criticism. So why are we not doing it more? Is it because we think there's no accounting for taste and we rather keep our opinion to ourselves? How can a knitting designer get better without some constructive criticism? Do they rely on their circle of chosen testers to give them the appropriate feedback?

OK, now back to my FO and thoughts on this pattern. First, this is a great basic recipe for a boy's raglan sweater. However, here are some thoughts on making it better and achieving a more polished look:
- mirror the cables (left cable one side, right cable the other side; doesn't matter which one is which);
- do the raglan increases as m1l and m1r to create a neater look;
- choose a center stitch for the neckline and do the decreases along it as it does not make any sense to knit the neck bit without any increases.

That was not bad at all, was it?


Used only about 270g of Cascade 220. Purchased way too much wool according to the pattern. In fact, there's enough for the second one if I were to knit an identical one. Oh, I followed my own idea of striping this one. According to the pattern, there should have been eight knitted rows per each colour block.

Thoughts on the fit and modeled pics will hopefully follow soon.

7 comments:

  1. Not bad at all.

    In fact it read just like a list of mods.

    I wonder if we've been letting mods become an implied list of criticisms of the pattern...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you are referring to the 'constructive criticism' deabte - I have been following it too (on twitter).. It is really interesting - I think your list gives more colour to the pattern - which are a bit dry to be honest and does not necessarily tell you what was intended. I like to know why I have to do things something - to make a decision whether I want to do it or not.. Anyway, I love the jumper - great colours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Lauren's post said what a lot of us have already been thinking. I think my biggest problem is a fuzzy memory; if I don't keep meticulous notes while knitting, I'll forget any mods or adjustments I make in a pattern.

    I guess it always comes down to how you present the criticism. Your comments were not harsh, though! And the sweater is super cute.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, thanks for linking! That sweater is adorable and it looks like you made some great suggestions regarding the pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello, I've just started knitting this pattern and I have a question about it. I know you aren't the author, and that you made this two years ago, but I'm hoping you can help me anyway, as I can't find anyone else talking about this sweater. I knit the initial cables and have just joined in the round, but I'm confused about the next set of raglan increases. The pattern says to only increase right before each set of cables, not before and after. I feel like that would make it uneven. Am I reading this incorrectly? It reads:
    Rnd 1; K
    Rnd 2 (Inc): **K to within 1 st. of next m, kfb, sm, k4, sm** rep between ** to last m, kfb, k to end of row.

    What I take from this is I knit, knit front and back, cable, and then knit to the next set of cables, but there's no equal, opposite increase. Won't that look weird in the finished sweater? Like I said, I know it's not your pattern, but any advice is helpful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Katie!
      I haven't got the pattern myself anymore, so I cannot recheck it, but from what you wrote down, it does sound as if there's the corresponding raglan increase missing. Are these instructions the same for all sizes? I picked the sweater and the increases seem to have been done evenly.
      I'm sorry I cannot be of more help to you right now.

      Delete
  6. Hello, I've just started knitting this pattern and I have a question about it. I know you aren't the author, and that you made this two years ago, but I'm hoping you can help me anyway, as I can't find anyone else talking about this sweater. I knit the initial cables and have just joined in the round, but I'm confused about the next set of raglan increases. The pattern says to only increase right before each set of cables, not before and after. I feel like that would make it uneven. Am I reading this incorrectly? It reads:
    Rnd 1; K
    Rnd 2 (Inc): **K to within 1 st. of next m, kfb, sm, k4, sm** rep between ** to last m, kfb, k to end of row.

    What I take from this is I knit, knit front and back, cable, and then knit to the next set of cables, but there's no equal, opposite increase. Won't that look weird in the finished sweater? Like I said, I know it's not your pattern, but any advice is helpful. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.