Monday, July 25, 2011

stash


Help needed! My stash is taking over my wardrobe space and every other bit of free space in our apartment. How do you keep track of the ever-growing stash? Are you using ravelry's stash feature to keep track of your yarn? 

Merely three years ago I was a only-one-project-at-a-time knitter. Once a piece got finished, only then did I purchase new yarn for the next project. I blame it all on Christine who introduced me to her stash and made me fall in love with yarn.

I have yarn for so many different projects that I am not sure if I am ever going to use it all up. As I listened to the latest Alana's podcast, I started thinking that maybe all of us are yarn collectors. There's so much yarn that is just too good to use for a particular project, as Alana says. Other skeins get forgotten - out of sight, out of mind.

I will not make any vows to not buy any yarn until my stash is knit up. That is the most unrealistic goal ever, but after opening boxes and boxes of yarn I vow to not buy any yarn heavier than sport-weight for the next year. Each time that I sin, I will confess here and do a giveaway out of my stash.

9 comments:

  1. Good luck! I've tried in the past. It is tough but I bet you can do it. Well, I bet you can do better than I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to keep the stash under control. I do use Ravelry to catalog my stash. I find it helpful, especially if I'm away from the house, but find a pattern I like (I can check to see if I have stash I can use!). I haven't bought yarn since January 1, but I also am knitting less now than I was a year ago. Good luck in your attempts! I bet you can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh man, do I ever hear you on this!! My stash is brutal, and since my husband and I have been looking to buy a place, I know that when it comes time to move, there's no way I'm going to be bringing all this yarn with me. Some of it is terrible craft yarn that needs to get donated away, and some should be for a giveaway, but every time I go through my stash and think about giving it away I get all territorial and think, 'but what if the perfect project for this comes along next week? next month?" and it all gets stashed away again. I just can't seem to let go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. TRUTH! I'm so grateful for Ravelry's stash feature. It keeps me from losing track of things entirely.

    I don't yarn diet though. I'm on a clean stashing regime. It's like clean eating, except with yarn. It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle, which is much easier to deal with ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use the Ravelry stash feature and find it really helpful. Mine's mostly sock yarn though! I'm trying very hard to knit from stash more, just because there are so many gorgeous skeins in there I really want to knit with!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do use Rav's stash feature and I have an incredible amount of yarn...I'll go weeks and weeks without buying and then BAM..yarn buying spree....but it makes me happy and many times I just squish it and squoosh it....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like everyone else, I also use the Rav stash feature. But I go a step farther and pair stash yarn with projects, and then list those in my queue. That way, if I'm feeling the urge to splurge, I can check that page and look at all the projects that I could start knitting RIGHT THEN. It helps keep things in perspective. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use Ravelry's stash feature. But in the past few years, I've tried to just buy yarn for specific projects. Not easy! But that means my stash pre-dates moving to London (yes, I dragged it all over). And I never know what to do with it! There's not enough of any one thing to make anything...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ja, das Problem kennen wir wohl alle.
    Mein System für dieses Jahr ist, die fertigen Projekt mit Wollneukäufen zuverrechnen. Allso 19 Sachen fertig gestellt, Wolle für 17 Projekte gekauft. Somit ist das eine Stashreduzierung von 2 und bedeutet bisher nicht wirklich viel , aber immerhin die Richtung stimmt...
    Liebe Grüße! Annette

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.