Saturday, June 4, 2011

on newborn hats and socks (again)

First, let me show you some FOs. 
Patterns: Swirl hat and Newborn Spiral-Rib Tube Sock





Yarn used: I raided Christine's stash and used hand dyed sock yarn from Pagewood Farm, St. Elias in Really Red colourway.
Needles: 2.5 mm circulars

Size: Newborn

Fit: I thought there was no need for such small feet to have socks with heels. Now I know better. These socks keep falling off even when my little one is asleep. They are a bit better if I pull them over the pants and we did get some wear out of them. Swirl hat is a perfect fit when it comes to the size. However, if I get it to cover the wee one's ears, then it sits too low on the forehead and covers her eyes as well. If the brim is folded, then it does not cover the ears anymore. Quite a dilemma. I guess I will try this hat as the construction seems to be baby-friendlier to issues of covering the ears.

Next up: Gooseberry hat



This was a very fast knit, finished during a long flight with a screaming toddler on board. :)

Needles: 2.5mm circulars

Yarn: Superwash merino, cashmere and nylon blend handdyed by Christine

Mods/ notes: Since I was using fingering weight yarn and was knitting for a newborn, I cast on 80 sts, *k10,p10* for about 5", then decreased as in pattern from Row 3 onwards. I did an I-cord of 8sts, not 4 as in pattern.

Fit: For some reason, this hat is better when it comes to eyes-ear-issue. It looks cute, is a super easy knit and has enough stretchiness to last for a while. Well, at least I hope it will. Babies grow way faster than you'd think. I will show some pictures soon to prove it.


All in all, I'd choose function over form for my future baby sock and hat knits. Lace patterns are nice to have, but by the rate the little one is growing stockinette is just fine. Also, better knit bigger garments. I cannot stress that often enough. Regarding the pictures in this post: I learned from this experience to not wait for that perfect moment to take a picture of a newborn in a knit because that moment might never come.

2 comments:

  1. "Never wait for that perfect moment...because that moment might never come" Wise words indeed - not only about knitting for one's babies but about parenting their whole lives through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your little one is beautiful! And I love that Gooseberry hat. Too cute.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.