Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I could not resist casting on...

... for yet another baby project.



I must say, Vintage Baby Knits book is a must have for all moms-to-be and those who want to knit for babies. It has it all - baby blankets, pants, soakers, cardigans, socks, hats, toys and and and... Most of the patterns are knit in one piece - really, who would want to assemble those tiny items? A plus for me is that most of the patterns require fingering weight yarn which is available everywhere, is machine washable and comes in a variety of colours. And let's admit, all of us have that special sock yarn skein that is too nice to be hidden away in shoes.

What I do not like much about the book is that it only states the yarn needed for the pattern, but does not say what weight it is. Sure, with gauge info and Ravelry it is easy enough to find this out nowadays. It is just a simple information that could have been included.

I also enjoyed reading about knitting in the past and what influenced the changing styles of knitting patterns. Moreover, the author gives great suggestions when choosing the right yarn, pattern and size for a baby knit. There was nothing I had not thought of myself, but it was nice to see it all written out on one page.

All in all, a very recommendable purchase.

4 comments:

  1. I'm a huge fan of this book too, but I have to say I'm a little surprised when you say that most patterns are knitted in one piece - leafing through it and choosing patterns my impression was exactly the opposite: that there could be way less seaming. I've knitted two baby sweaters out of it and I could think of many ways to make them with fewer seams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Fridica: Oh yes, the cardi that I am knitting at the moment wanted me for some reason to knit the sleeves flat, which I modified. So that is not completely seem-free. But these patterns come definitely with fewer seems than let's say Debbie Bliss patterns that I find very cute but refuse to knit because of all the assembling issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has to be one of my favourite baby knits books too! I've loved every project that I've made from it so far.

    I'm not so fussed about seaming, I know what you mean about Debbie Bliss patterns though. It can be pretty time consuming to do all that seaming on a tiny knit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! Congratulations! Thanks for stopping by today! I have just perused your blog and envy all the socks! Only reason I am learning to knit! Are you in the States right now or back in Austria? And on Sunday, Amazing Race is in Liechenstein! They have to measure the country!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.