Sunday, December 5, 2010

FO: EZ Baby Surplice Jacket

Now this is a knit that I'm extremely proud of. I've had a try at EZ's Baby Surprise Jacket, but honestly I could not wrap my mind around that construction. Having succeeded at this version, I'm confident to try BSJ again.


It's still unblocked as the recipient is due only in May. My mods: the body is somewhat longer, thus I had to stop the neckline decreases as soon as the increases for the sleeves were started. I'll be able to tell it in May if that was a good decision.




Details
Pattern: Surplice Baby Jacket by Elizabeth Zimmermann.
Yarn: 2 skeins of Wolle Rödel Siena (Sport, 5ply, 100% Merino). I've had only positive experience with this yarn and it seems like a very good choice for baby items.
Needles: 3.5mm (US 4) circulars, as always. I really can knit everything on circulars and magic loop if needed.
Other notes: I kitchener-stitched the sleeves from the left side, so it looks perfect. Definitely better than sewing. I also did 6 extra rows of ridges on the sleeves (picked up the stitches after seeming the sleeves and did a few alternating rounds of knit and purl). I prefer this look over a k1p1 sleeve.

3 comments:

  1. It looks great! I recently made a looong scarf out of Wolle Rodel Soft-Merino and I was very happy with it - it bloomed when soaked and blocked perfectly.
    I particularly like the band on this piece, it seems to just come out of nowhere when the shaping begins. And multiple buttonholes! Very very nice item :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kokia įdomi konstrukcija - turėtų būt patogu aprengt ir nurengt, net miegantį vaikiuką. Geltonas viščiukiškas megztukas :) - spalva, tinkanti bet kuriam kūdikėliui.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!! I love the sunshine yellow, it looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.