Thursday, April 22, 2010

Oma's Stiches #1

My hubby's grandma was a very passionate knitter. She used to use each free minute to knit or to mend the knits (usually socks). She was also the one who re-inspired me to knit again almost 10 years back. Around 3 years ago Oma stopped knitting due to arthritis and then dementia. I've been thinking for a while to write some blog entries on her knits that still keep her family and the memories of Oma warm.

First up is this Irish cardigan/ jacket. It was knit sometime in 1967/1968!!! My MIL went on a trip to Ireland then and fell in love with cabled cardis. She bought some wool + buttons in Ireland, brought them home and Oma knit her a cardi based on a sample.

Amazing, this cardi survived all these years!!! I easily see this passing on to the next generation.

OK, it is a bit too big and maybe not that flattering on me, but I love it. I had it on just the other evening when it got too cold outside. It is sooo warm and cuddly.

And all the cabling?! Awesome. I really want to copy this and make one as well.

Never done pockets before, but such a cardi needs them.

4 comments:

  1. wow, what an amazing cardigan, and it's so wonderful that your Oma has this legacy that she can leave to you and others. Just incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still a very classic and beautiful cardi!!!
    I can't wait to see your version :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a gorgeous knit, I'm so thrilled for you it's survived so well and is still wearable. I think it looks great on you. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That is beautiful! I can't imagine making something with that much detail.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.