Monday, November 17, 2008

run-out-of-yarn-o-phobia


I searched weeks for Royal Tweed by Lana Grossa in colour 34. Ever since I saw the Fitted Knits book I wanted this tunic. In exactly same colour. Finally, I found an online shop that had it, so I ordered 8 skeins as most of the knitters needed around 6-7 skeins and were saying 8 is a very generous calculation. Now, I did not take into consideration that I'm quite a loose knitter and that I have to go sizes down with the needles to avoid my knits looking like nets. So, for this pattern I use US4 (3.5mm) instead of US10 (6mm) circulars! Had I done my math, I would know that this will take up way more yarn. I'm just about to finish the 5th skein and I know I will have to start the 6th to at least reach some decent length for a tunic. But will there be enough yarn for both sleeves? I already checked - the online shop sold the last 8 skeins of this yarn to me.

Act of desperation: I went to a lys and asked for some lessons how to improve my knitting tension.

10 comments:

  1. oh no! i hope you can find more yarn. did you try asking around on ravelry? it's a great color - yellow is becoming one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ack! I wish I had some in my stash to send you! this store seems to have it http://www.knitty-noddy.com/component/page,shop.yarn_flypage/product_id,1002/category_id,a17ca8d029e4cc42e776e8ebf2fe95c5/option,com_phpshop/
    but youd have to ask about the lot.

    good luck! I want to see you finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo, I know the feeling, and I'm sorry you're feeling it! I guess you can either take your chances and try the sleeves full-length and cross your fingers, or mod the sleeves to be shorter. I know that would drastically change the look of the knit... I hope it all turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you can find the yarn to finish it as it's looking lovely so far - it would be a shame not to finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes! You may be able to pull it off. If you can't find the yarn anywhere, I would suggest working both sleeves at the same time with the yarn you have left. That way you can make sure you have enough for maybe even 3/4 length sleeves.

    Regardless - the sweater looks great so far and the fit is perfect. I hope you can finish it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I am so with you in that boat right now! Except I went into the project fully aware that I'd probably run out.

    Hope you find some pretty yellow yarn to finish up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just checked, too, and couldn't find any in stock. Well, yarn-and.com has a 10 ball bag of it for $90, but I assume that would be overkill for this project:) Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pagarba-padėka, Sigute!!! Nuostabi ESI KŪRĖJA! Sėkmės!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks great so far, I really hope it all turns out okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I ran into this with Koigu Kersti one time. I bought three skeins on sale and didn't use them for a year (or more?). Once I finally decided what to do with them I realized I would never have enough. I was so determined to use the yarn that I just started the project and started looking online for more. When the additional skeins showed up they were SO different from the original. I was discouraged but determined. I made a clapotis - half and half. No one comments on it - but I know. It's a reminded to buy more - which is another story in and of itself!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.