Monday, November 10, 2008

FOs: staying warm

This is the famous Foliage hat. It's such a simple pattern, but the effect is great. I chose Lang Merino 70 Superwash yarn for this, which is a merino extrafine with a tiny bit (2%) strechy polyester mixed in. It's soft and is definitely a great choice for a hat.

With the left skein of yarn I decided to make a scarf/neckwarmer that would go with the hat. Initially I wanted to improvise and just use the foliage pattern for a scarf as well. But then I did not feel like thinking too much ;-), so I chose Branching Out. The sentence that convinced me to go with this pattern was this: "Gauge is not crucial." This meant that I could stick with the same yarn I used for Foliage and have a matching scarf.

I knit both on 3.5mm/US 4 circulars (really, I use circulars for everything). I'm sure I'll use Foliage pattern again. After all, my sister also wanted a hat. ;-) I'm into accessories and want to knit loads of hats, mittens, wrist warmers, scarfs, etc. and totally dream of this. Oh yeah, I still have a free wish for my birthday!

9 comments:

  1. These both turned out great! I love the color too - which is probably bad because now I want to go buy this exact yarn and colorway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are absolutely beautiful! I love the colour too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, looks beautiful and warm. The top view is especially intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love both of those - I particularly enjoy the pretty creativity of the neckwarmer. How perfect are those buttons for it?!
    Also, thanks for the heads-up on that book. It looks really cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. both came out great, you can never go wrong with red!

    you definitely should get that book! I want way too many accessories now.
    bitterpurl

    ReplyDelete
  6. They looks great! Warm, cozy, and very stylish with the texture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute! I love both the scarf and the hat. Great color too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely beautiful !!! That color is fab.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the hat and matching scarf! Foliage really attracted me when I thought about making it, but there were no frontal pictures of how a person looks in it on the Knitty page. Does it fit the head quite snugly?

    P.S. I love the fact that you added little buttons to the scarf.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.