Thursday, June 5, 2008

being a good bank

This is Jeymi Ruiz Castillo. She lives in Managua, Nicaragua. And I just gave her a loan for her beauty salon. With the money she'll buy shampoos, gels and other equipment. She wants to be able to take on more customers. It's not a donation, she will pay me back. She could not get this small amount from any bank. The only difference is that neither me nor other lenders will get any interest. So it's more like lending money to a friend.
Today I wanted to let you know about Kiva, a non-profit that allows you to lend as little as $25 to a specific low-income entrepreneur in the developing world. Because I believe that everybody can make a difference. You can find more details on Kiva homepage, on Wikipedia or through Kiva Loaners Group on Ravelry. I wish I had heard of it earlier.

2 comments:

  1. That's amazing! I hope you (and we) get to see how it goes with the salon. That's so incredibly nice of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete