Saturday, May 24, 2008

the shape of things to come


Mistake #1: It's nowhere a beginner pattern. It says that intermediate skill level is required, but due to quite a variety of patterns it's more than just increases/decreases that you have to do. Knitting is math.
Mistake #2: I've chosen a different yarn. The yardage is almost exactly the same. It's 312m per 50g. The mix is pretty much the same, except for the 37 % viscose bit instead of 40% wool. I want this to be a summer top. And who wants a wool top for summer, right?
When I checked my gauge on 8mm (US11) needles, I noticed that it was all just wrong. That was way too airy, and it was pretty clear that taking three or four strands of yarn (instead of two) just wouldn't help. It all looked like a fishing net! So I tried smaller needles. Way smaller. At the moment I'm knitting on 2.5mm (US1.5)! Yes! This means I have to do loads of modifications.

Despite all the trouble, I like the way the pattern looks like and the shape that the whole "thing" is taking. I like that it's thin and light. This will be a wearable top (fingers crossed). I hope.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for dropping by my blog:) And yes, we are silly girls. Welcome to the land of sweaters on tiny needles:) I also have a project knit on minuscule needles...I haven't touched it in months, so I'll live vicariously through your updates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a nice design there. Where did you get that from? I'm now knitting a scarf to give to a friend for her birthday in June. Hope I can make it in time.

    Oh yes, thanks for dropping by my blog too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such pretty knitting. Love both the Juliet & Ophelia you just did! And welcome to knit blog world :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I'm going to keep an eye on your progress on this one - it's pretty high on my queue of desired knits even though I can't find the pattern book anywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naja ich mach halt so einen Tschechisch-Kurs im Sprachlabor *g* und der macht Spaß :D
    Der Anfang von dem Oberteil sieht ja schonmal toll aus ich hänge gerade mal wieder an Socken ^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that summer top, too, and your choice of color is lovely! I hope you'll be able to figure it all out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! This pattern does look amazing! I hope you'll keep posting your progress. And I totally recommend the back to school vest - incredibly easy and satisfying!

    My only suggestion on it is to double check size - I made mine smaller than her smallest size, and I'm not a particularly small person!

    I'm glad you took some time to check out my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment.